- Critical Evaluation
- Leadership and Navigation
Leadership is not limited to a job title. Leadership is a set of skills every member of an organization can master and demonstrate. With the ability to lead comes the ability to influence. This highly interactive and practice based class empowers anyone who must accomplish organizational and personal goals by influencing upward, laterally, and downward - individually and in teams. We all must be able to exercise various kinds of influence to gain the resources, support, and cooperation that will allow them to achieve their strategic goals.
In addressing this critical skills area, Employers Council offers a program that goes far beyond other influence courses in exploring personal and positional power sources as well as building influence techniques and skills. Participants increase their self-knowledge and awareness of their personal power base, determine strengths and weaknesses, and learn to apply specific influence tactics effectively.
Influence and Leadership
- The influence model
- Power sources and power bases
- Influence strategies and tactics
- Individual assessment of power and tactics
- Creating a personal action plan
- Leading/influencing in a team environment
Influence Skills Practice
- Integrated skills practice
- Skills modeling and demos
- Team interaction exercise
- Influencing upward
- Deflecting negative influence tactics
- Select the appropriate tactic(s)
- Identify power position
- Develop a plan of action
Each participant will receive a 145-page desktop reference guide on the application of leadership and influencing strategies in the workplace. Loaded with tips, techniques, and easy-to-understand models, this resource will provide quick strategies for the most difficult situations.
- The personal action plan helps participants set concrete plans for improvement. This goal-setting activity improves commitment to achieving specific goals following the workshop and facilitates ongoing implementation on the job.
- Intensive, individual influence skills exercises allow participants to “try on” new techniques in a safe training environment. This opportunity to practice reinforces skills and promotes long-term skills retention.
- The team interaction exercise reveals team dynamics in action and provides insight into how influence operates in team settings. When natural work teams participate in this training, this exercise will help improve team effectiveness.
- Ten influence tactics give participants a spectrum of techniques to choose from, depending on their situation, objectives, and personal operating style. Unlike other influence programs that focus on one technique such as currencies of exchange this program provides many tools and addresses upward, lateral, and downward influence needs.
- The final influence application planning ties the program together by analyzing a work-specific situation, the influence, the goal, desired outcome, power bases, influence tactics, and approach plan.
- By focusing on a work-related influence need, the plan ensures participants will use the workshop information immediately and achieve longer-term results.
Non-managing professionals, high-level leaders, managers, supervisors, staff personnel, and self-directed or traditional work team members
Leadership Through Influence can be facilitated as a powerful leadership development experience. In addition to the standard on-site rate, this session has additional materials fees.