This practicum provides attendees with a practical application of the FLSA exemptions and the primary differences between who is considered an exempt and a non-exempt employee. Misclassification is the most frequent FLSA mistake that employers make.
Participants will learn the truths and myths about the FLSA exemptions and what is meant by “duties test” and “salary basis test.” They will develop practical experience regarding how to decide the exempt or non-exempt status of their employees, how to analyze jobs and compare the data collected to the exemption tests, as well as obtain some useful tips to better ensure their compliance efforts. Participants are invited to bring 1 to 2 of their organization’s job descriptions for individual analysis and class discussion facilitated by the instructor.
- Brief overview of the FLSA
- Process to determine exemption eligibility
- Exercises to put the knowledge into practice
- Obtain input and apply what is learned to member job descriptions
- Guidelines to manage the administration and communication process
Who Should Attend
Human resources professionals, managers, supervisors, and in-house counsel
Employers Council staff and staff attorney