In this workshop, participants will learn how to lower their unemployment insurance tax by properly contesting and defending unemployment claims. The workshop will address the elements of “just cause" and “good cause" separations and how an employer can successfully prevail in each claim.
Using a real-life hypothetical and mock hearing, participants will learn how to defend the employer in an appeal hearing before the Utah Department of Workforce Services Appeals Unit. The mock hearing will address all phases of the appeal process (pre-hearing preparation, hearing protocol, and follow-up).
- Understand and implement the three elements of “just cause"
- Understand the appeal hearing process and protocol
- Learn to prepare for an appeal hearing and identify the necessary evidence to submit
- Understand how to ask and answer proper questions to establish just cause
- Develop confidence in representing an employer in an appeal hearing and manage the process from start to finish
Managers, supervisors, and human resources professionals. For an overview of the unemployment insurance process, see the Unemployment Insurance Essentials – Utah seminar.
Employers Council staff attorney