Unemployment insurance taxes have the potential to be a significant cost to businesses. However, by understanding the unemployment insurance program, HR professionals and managers can take active steps to reduce these costs. This class is designed to help Utah employers understand who can receive benefits, the financial impact to the organization, and how to control/minimize unemployment costs.
During this training session, participants will review the basic provisions and procedures of the Utah Employment Security Act and the relevant administrative regulations. The training will focus on why employees are either disqualified from benefits or receive a full award of benefits. In addition, the training will address strategies that will assist employers in lowering the financial impact of unemployment insurance taxes.
- Who is covered by unemployment insurance in Utah
- Who pays the costs
- Overview of the difference between a “voluntary quit” and a “discharge”
- Understand the three elements of a discharge for “just cause”
- Strategies for lowering your unemployment taxes
- Benefit awards: full award and disqualification
- Administrative procedures: responding to the initial claim
Who Should Attend
All levels of management
Employers Council staff attorney