With unemployment costs escalating dramatically, human resources professionals and line managers need a working knowledge of the unemployment insurance system. This class is designed to help employers understand who can receive benefits, the financial impact to the organization, and how to control/minimize unemployment costs.
During the morning portion, participants review the basic provisions and proce dures of state laws and focus on why employees are disqualified from benefits or receive a full award of benefits. In the afternoon, attendees participate in a mock appeal hearing to apply the strategies and skills gained in the morning session.
- Who is covered by unemployment insurance?
- Who pays the costs?
- Strategies for lowering your unemployment taxes
- Benefit awards: full award and disqualification
- Administrative procedures: responding to the claim
- Participation in a mock appeal hearing
- Hearing Officer presentation regarding their decision-making and rationale
All levels of management. As a follow-up to this class, participants should consider attending Employers Council’s Unemployment Insurance: Appeal Hearing Workshop.