- HR Expertise
- Critical Evaluation
Employers’ unemployment taxes are a cost of doing business. Successfully contesting unemployment claims is one way to fight against the increase in your unemployment costs. This fast-paced workshop will provide strategies for success at the appeal level and focus on hearing preparation, what can be expected to happen at the hearing, and how to handle the unexpected. Participants will review a case study to get hands-on experience preparing witnesses and documentation for a hearing. Group discussions and exercises will help develop and improve your ability to persuade the Hearing Officer and win your case.
*Note: This course only applies to Colorado employers.
- The initial claim response sets the stage
- Being prepared and organized
- Knowing the law is the key to winning
- Direct and cross examination—the art of asking questions
- Hearsay evidence—what is it and can you use it?
- How to offer written evidence into the record
- “Objection, your honor!”—how and when to object
Who Should Attend
Individuals who represent their organizations at unemployment compensation hearings. It is recommended that participants have attended the basic Employers Council Unemployment Insurance: Challenging Claims and Controlling Costs class.
Employers Council staff attorney