Reports To: Chief Financial Officer
FLSA Status: Exempt
Prepared By/Date: Julie A. McLaughlin 05-18-2018
Summary: Plans and directs accounting activities within a finance department or division of an organization by performing the following duties, personally or through subordinate supervisors.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Assists in the development and implementation of goals, policies, priorities, and procedures relating to financial management, budget, and accounting
- Supervises and participates in the preparation of various financial statements and reports
- Directs the maintenance of general and subsidiary ledgers, accounts receivable, revenue distribution, depreciation, property tax, sales and use tax, and operating expenses
- Directs internal policy review of accounting and administrative controls and establishes system controls for new financial systems and develops procedures to improve existing systems
- Coordinates preparation of external audit materials and external financial reporting
- Reviews financial statements with management personnel
- Directs the installation and maintenance of new accounting, timekeeping, payroll, property, and other related procedures and controls.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Analytical & Problem Solving
- Synthesizes, collects and researches complex or diverse data
- Uses intuition and experience to complement data
- Designs processes, work flows and procedures
- Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner by gathering and analyzing information skillfully and develops alternative solutions
- Works well in group problem solving situations
- Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics
- Develops project plans, coordinates projects
- Communicates changes and progress
- Completes projects on time and budget
- Manages project team activities
- Easily learns technology platforms include Association Management Systems, Accounting software, reporting applications, Fixed Asset systems, MS Office applications and can train others on applications
- Assesses own strengths and weaknesses and pursues training and development opportunities
- Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills
- Manages difficult or emotional customer situations
- Responds promptly to customer needs
- Solicits customer feedback both internal and external in order to improve service
- Meets commitments
- Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming
- Maintains confidentiality
- Listens to others without interrupting
- Keeps emotions under control
- Remains open to others' ideas and tries new things
- Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations
- Listens and gets clarification
- Responds well to questions
- Demonstrates group presentation skills
- Balances team and individual responsibilities
- Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views
- Gives and welcomes feedback
- Contributes to building a positive team spirit and builds morale and group commitment
- Puts success of team above own interests
- Writes and interprets written information clearly and informatively
- Edits work for spelling and grammar
- Varies writing style to meet needs
- Presents numerical data effectively
- Develops workable implementation plans
- Communicates changes effectively and builds commitment and overcomes resistance
- Prepares and supports those affected by change, monitors transition and evaluates results
- Delegates work assignments and matches the responsibility to the person
- Gives authority to work independently
- Sets expectations and monitors delegated activities
- Provides recognition for results
- Exhibits confidence in self and others
- Inspires and motivates others to perform well an provides appropriate recognition to others
- Inspires respect and trust
- Accepts feedback from others
- Includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement
- Takes responsibility for subordinates' activities
- Makes self available to staff
- Provides regular performance feedback
- Develops subordinates' skills and encourages growth
- Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences
- Educates others on the value of diversity
- Promotes a harassment-free environment
- Builds a diverse workforce
- Treats people with respect
- Inspires the trust of others and keeps commitments
- Works with integrity and ethically
- Upholds organizational values
- Follows policies and procedures
Attendance/Punctuality & Dependability
- Is consistently at work and on time
- Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent
- Arrives at meetings and appointments on time
- Follows instructions, responds to management direction
- Takes responsibility for own actions
- Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals
- Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Displays willingness to make decisions
- Exhibits sound and accurate judgment
- Supports and explains reasoning for decisions
- Includes appropriate people in decision-making process
- Makes timely decisions
- Prioritizes and plans work activities and uses time efficiently
- Sets goals and objectives
- Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks
- Develops realistic action plans
- Approaches others in a tactful manner
- Reacts well under pressure
- Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
College or university degree; and five plus years related experience.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Word Processing software; Spreadsheet software; MS Dynamics SL accounting software; Fixed Asset software; Payroll systems; Database software and Contact Management systems.
Certificates and Licenses:
Directly supervises approximately 10 employees in the Accounting department. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include Ability to adjust focus.While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.